Paying the Chapter 13 Trustee

While most Chapter 13 payments will be made to the Chapter 13 Trustee via wage attachments or bank attachments, some payments will be made directly by the debtor on their own.

Typically, this occurs at the beginning of the case before the wage attachment takes effect, or when the debtor is transitioning between jobs. This post describes how to make these direct payments.

All payments to the Chapter 13 Trustee must be mailed via normal mail to the following address (NOTE: Do NOT use any form of mail that requires a signature from the Trustee, such as certified mail, as the Trustee will NOT accept it.):

Ronda J. Winnecour

P.O. Box 1132

Memphis, TN 38101-1132

Payments will only be accepted by the Chapter 13 Trustee if they are money orders or certified checks... personal checks and cash will NOT be accepted. 

Your money order or certified check should include your bankruptcy case number, which will be in the form of 16-12345 (year the case was filed, dash, and then five digits). Keep a record of your payment in case it is lost in the mail or otherwise mishandled.

Your first payment will become due 30 days after your case is filed (otherwise, your case will be dismissed). Typically, you will stop making the payment directly when you see the wage attachment come out of your paycheck, or the bank attachment come out of your bank account. But, always verify this with your attorney. Missed payments could result in the need to increase your plan payment to catch up, or in a worst case scenario, the dismissal of your case.

So, to summarize, here is everything you need to know about mailing your payment directly to the Chapter 13 Trustee when your attorney advises you to do so...

  • Mail (regular mail)  to Ronda J. Winnecour, P.O. Box 1132, Memphis, TN 38101-1132
  • Money orders and certified checks ONLY, no personal checks or money orders
  • Remember to write your case number on your certified check or money order
  • The first payment is due 30 days after the filing of your case

If you have any questions about your bankruptcy payment, contact us immediately.